14 Feb Ultimate Tuscany Bucket List
Whenever you travel to somewhere as rich and varied as Tuscany, it can be overwhelming knowing where to start. No matter how many days you’ve booked to stay, there will never be enough time to do it all. So it is my pleasure to share with you my definitive guide on what you must do/ see if you come to Tuscany.
1. Visit Florence – capital of Tuscany, birth of the Renaissance, a fashion capital and one of the most visited cities on earth. Go to see Michelangelo’s David, it’s stunning.
2. Siena- its central square, Piazza del Campo, is home to a crazy bare backed horse race called the Palio twice per year & the city is full of art, shops and museums.
3. Browse through the medieval hill towns of Radda in Chianti, Cortona, and San Gimignano – all are bustling with unique shops, history, culture and year round events.
4. Go on a wine tour – whether guided or self drive. You are staying amongst some of the best vineyards in the world, so why not sample Chianti, Brunello and Montalcino?
5. Order in extra virgin olive oil – the region produces some of the best in the world, it’s good for you, filled with antioxidant properties and Vitamins D, E & K, and tastes wonderfully nutty and spicy.
6. Eat wild boar – it’s a regional speciality and you will be doing the area a service by keeping the population under control: they can be a nuisance and destroy vines, dig up lawns and eat flowers.
7. Slow down and spend 3 hours over lunch. There is no point coming to Tuscany if you spend the whole time rushing around, amongst the crowds. Escape from it all, find time to reflect and be inspired, it’s probably no coincidence that Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Galileo all came from here.
8. Cycle the intact Renaissance medieval walls of Lucca and enjoy the views of the city dating back to the 1500s.
9. Watch the sunset in miniature Monteriggioni, it will make your heart sing.
10. Stand and take in the views – absorb the scenery on walks, on runs and on bikes. It really is as beautiful as you imagined.